Each of us takes a different trajectory in life right from the moment we are born. Our genetic makeup, interactions with our surroundings, the people we meet, the experiences we endure, and many other forces shape our minds in different ways. In other words, we all develop different mindsets growing up.
It’s also why we are all unique individuals despite belonging to the same species. However, merely being unique isn’t enough. You need to understand how your mind is shaped and the type of mindset you harbor. After all, your mindset literally dictates how you live life and the type of future you build for yourself.
With that in mind, let’s understand what mindset means in more detail, its main types, and whether you can evolve your mindset.
What Is Mindset?
Mindset is essentially your frame of mind. It is a set of attitudes, beliefs, thought patterns, values, outlooks, dispositions, and other intangible qualities of your mind. As you can see, your mindset encompasses a lot of the things that make you, you. It’s also quite clear that your way of thinking dictates how you perceive yourself and the world around you. It’s basically how you make sense of your reality.
Needless to say, you should pay attention to the type of mindset you have. It might be a difficult task, and you might have to do a lot of introspection, but it is crucial that you do so. After all, your way of thinking influences every single decision and action of yours. Our lives are shaped by everything we do and decide.
Understanding The Main Types
Now, even though there are as many mindsets as there are people, most of them would fit into two broad categories: growth and fixed mindsets. Let’s take a look at each one.
People with this mindset have an inherent belief that talents, skills, and capabilities develop over time with determination and effort. They believe their success is in their hands and they can achieve anything they put their minds to if they work hard enough. This is why this type of mindset is called a “growth mindset,” as it encourages growth and evolution in life.
Another important quality of people with this mindset is that they are not afraid of challenges. In fact, they see challenges as opportunities to grow and learn. As such, you can see them actively trying to challenge themselves in various aspects of their lives (health, career, personal development, relationships, etc.)
It’s not surprising that most successful people have a growth mindset. They look at the world differently and focus on providing solutions to problems. This helps them come up with unique ideas that not only make them successful but also help humanity move forward.
As the name suggests, people with a fixed mindset believe that their talents and skills are fixed at birth. They believe that no matter how hard you try, you can never match the talents that people are naturally blessed with. This attitude keeps them from striving to become better versions of themselves. It also leads them to believe their achievements and successes have an upper limit.
A fixed mindset also makes people averse to challenges in life. To them, challenges are inconveniences that are very difficult to overcome. And if something crops up outside their area of expertise, they simply tend to give up. This type of mindset also makes one believe that if you don’t try, you can’t fail!
Can You Evolve Your Mindset?
Now, knowing about the concept of mindset and its two main categories, you might be motivated to develop a healthier one. However, you might wonder whether that is even possible. You might even wonder whether you can change your fixed mindset into a growth mindset. Well, fortunately, the answer is a yes.
Your mindset is basically a frame of mind that developed over time thanks to various factors. There is nothing stopping you from taking this frame of mind in a new direction in a conscious manner. After all, people do change their attitudes and beliefs all the time! It just requires effort, time, and determination.
So, if you are ready to take on the journey, here are five ways to build a growth mindset:
- Acknowledge that you have a fixed mindset. If you want to change something, you have to first acknowledge where you stand right now. If you keep denying that you have a fixed mindset, you can’t change it! However, once you accept it, you can start to figure out your next steps and evolution.
- Pay attention to your thoughts. Your inner monologue tells a lot about who you are. And it is a direct consequence of your mindset. So, pay attention to your random thoughts and start programming new ideas and responses. For example, if your mind tells you that you can’t solve your current problem, you can reply back, “I haven’t solved it yet.”
- Face challenges bravely. Do not be afraid of challenges. They come into your life to teach you valuable lessons and to help you grow. In fact, you should look for opportunities in every problem. This will change your perception for the better. Of course, this change will take time, and you need to be patient with yourself.
- Cultivate a sense of purpose. If you observe people with a growth mindset, you will realize that most of them are driven by a larger purpose in life. This purpose keeps them motivated through challenges and failures. It also motivates them to keep becoming better versions of themselves. So, find your purpose in life and set sail in that direction.
- Look to others for inspiration. Sometimes, you just need the inspiration to make concrete changes in life. You need that fire to be ignited within you so that you can do something meaningful. If that’s the case, you can study the lives of successful people in the world. You can also look at friends, family, and colleagues who have a growth mindset and learn from them.
Start Your Shift
Changing your mindset can be a powerful tool for achieving success. By adopting a growth mindset, you can open yourself up to new opportunities and challenges. You’ll be more likely to take risks and persevere in the face of setbacks. And, over time, you’ll develop the skills and knowledge you need to reach your full potential. So if you’re looking to achieve your goals, changing your mindset is a great place to start.